Breakfast Club (8.20 - 8.40am)
For those who have not had time for breakfast or need fuel to get through the morning:
- Hot buttered toast or crumpet - 20p
- Half hot crusty baguette - 35p
- Selection of jams and butter - 10p
- Bowl of cereal or porridge including milk and sugar - 60p
- Hot chocolate, tea or coffee - 40p
- Extensive selection of fruit juices, milkshakes and school compliant soft drinks - 35p
- Fresh fruit - from 30p
- Dried fruit bags - 30p Gluten free - 50p
- Bottled water 40p or 60p
Morning Break (11.00 - 11.20am)
- Cold wraps - £1.50
- Wide selection of filled hot crusty paninis - £1.85
- Bacon baguettes/rolls from - £1.00
- Freshly filled baguettes - £1.20 / £1.60
- Selection of sandwiches from - £1.00 - £1.20
- Homemade plain/cheese scones - 60p
- Pizza slice (pepperoni, cheese or ham) - 95p
- Soup - 50p
- Hot tomato pasta pot - 50p
- Crusty petit pan - 35p
- Crumpet - 35p
Payment for Food
12 years ago, Caldew made the headlines by being the first school in Cumbria to introduce a biometric system for food service.
This involves taking the fingerprint of each new member of staff or student, usually this happens on induction day. Once on our system, accounts can be topped up at any of the three machines sited around school where a gel pad will recognise a registered person when they place their finger on it. Coins or notes can be fed into the machine on a daily or weekly basis, it is up to the user to monitor their own account and make sure they have ample funds before entering the dining area as there is no money handled at the checkouts, the intention is to speed up the service.
All students now have an Ipay account which is the on-line payment system for the school’s catering. If you have not received these details for your child, or need a reminder of the log-in details, please contact the school. By using this method you can monitor your child's spending and purchase history report.
We can also put a daily limit on your child’s account.
Lunch Service (12.20 - 1.00pm)
We pride ourselves on the quality service we offer. We serve a variety of home-made main course dishes every day including vegetarian and gluten free options from £1.90.
We strive to use local suppliers and locally sourced fresh ingredients such as Lakeland beef, providing nutritionally balanced menus at unbelievably low prices.
As well as our daily menu, sandwiches, rolls and baguettes, we offer:
- Jacket potato - 70p, with a variety of cold fillings for 65p, or hot fillings for £1.20
- Filled pasta boxes with chicken and bacon or tuna - 80p, or tomato only 60p
- Soup - 50p, crusty rolls - 35p
We serve chips twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
All of our wonderful tray bakes are still only 65p and are home-made at Caldew.
Hot puddings - 65p
Please remember you can only have a cake as part of your meal.
Awards & Qualifications
The catering team are very proud to hold the top food hygiene rating of 5: very good.
All catering staff have a Level 2 qualification in food hygiene.
We have a welcoming, helpful catering team here at Caldew who pull out all the stops when we have a theme day! The high quality and wide variety of the food provided is something that Caldew is well known for.
All the food we serve has been rigorously checked to ensure our menus are nutritionally compliant meeting all the government food based standards.
Please may we remind you that food & drink is not allowed to be consumed away from the Dining room, and the the sale or consumption of fizzy drinks or energy drinks is not permitted.
We are committed to providing healthy, wholesome value for money food and are happy to answer any queries or discuss any dietary requirements or allergen concerns. Please call Mrs Brigid Mason, Catering Manager, 01228 710149.